The City of Modesto wants to help you finish your oil change right. We have a variety of quick and convenient ways to recycle your used motor oil and filters. The Residential Collection Program will pick up from your home, Certified Collection Centers located throughout the city will pay you for every gallon you recycle, and the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility accepts used oil and many other household hazardous products.
The Residential Collection Program is a free service and is available to all residents who have 96-gallon garbage cans. Your used oil filter will be picked up on your scheduled appointment day by your garbage company.
1. CALL to make a collection appointment: 209-577-5492.
2. POUR oil into a plastic container with a screw-top lid. Do not mix oil with other materials such as antifreeze, brake fluid, or gasoline.
3. DRAIN the oil from the filter into the plastic container and place it into a plastic zipper bag.
4. PLACE filled containers and filters on your driveway near the garage or house – not curbside – by 6:00AM on your pickup day.
• Limit of four gallons and three oil filters per week
• Curbside recycling is not available to residents who have dumpster-style garbage bins. Refer to collection centers or contact the used oil recycling hotline at 209-577-5493 for more information.
Modesto residents can also recycle their used oil by dropping it off at a Certified Collection Center. The Centers will accept your used oil for recycling and pay you $.40 per gallon. You may recycle up to five gallons per day at any Center. Modesto has many locations to serve you; find the location closest to you using the CalRecycle search tool.